Aalto University is a community of bold thinkers where science and art meet technology and business. We are committed to identifying and solving grand societal challenges and building an innovative future. Aalto has six schools with nearly 11 000 students and a staff of more than 4000, of which 400 are professors. Our campus is located in the Helsinki metropolitan area in Finland.
The Antennas and Propagation group of Aalto University School of Electrical Engineering is looking for a highly motivated and talented undergraduate student to join their research activities. This research work can be the basis of a Master’s thesis.
6 months internship, Antenna Design for 5G Infrastructure
The fifth-generation (5G) cellular wireless has started its roll-out in many countries. Successful deployment of 5G radios require sophisticated infrastructure ensuring cellular wireless coverage for commodity mobile devices. Wireless infrastructure incorporates various electronic components, among which is an antenna array and its radome protecting the antenna array and radio devices against environmental factors. As the 5G cellular systems exploit a wider range of radio devices, more stringent performance requirements are imposed on antenna infrastructure than in legacy systems.
The work assignment therefore should tackle this problem by
1) Modeling and setting requirements for 5G antenna infrastructure
2) Designing antenna arrays and radomes according to the electromagnetic and mechanical requirements, and finally
3) Fabricating a prototype antenna array and radome, and then measuring their electromagnetic performance.
The work will involve interaction with an academic partner and a Finnish industry committed to the development of 5G infrastructure. Based on this work the student can complete a Master’s thesis under the supervision of Professor Katsuyuki Haneda.
Associate Professor Katsuyuki Haneda leads the Antennas and propagation group, which has been involved into a number of EU FP7 and Horizon 2020 projects about 5G physical layer studies and hence is known internationally to scientific and industrial research communities. Applications of the developed knowledge and experimental facilities about 5G cellular to industries are one of the key research missions of the group.
Applicants of the following profiles are eligible for this application.
• Studying for the master’s or bachelor degree; those who already have a master’s degree are NOT eligible for this position.
• Being a master (or bachelor) student when this internship starts.
• Basic knowledge of microwave engineering, including radio wave propagation, microwave circuits and antennas;
• Experience of numerical simulations of passive radio frequency components and electromagnetic fields using, e.g., CST Microwave Studio and MATLAB;
It is advantageous if the applicant has the following knowledge and skills:
• Experience of radio frequency instrumentation and measurements, e.g., antennas and field tests;
• Basic understanding of 5G cellular radio systems, e.g., the need of using millimeter-waves and transceiver architecture.
Salary and contract terms
This position will be filled for six months. The salary is approximately 1900-2200 €/month depending of the study level of the selected candidate. The contract includes occupational health benefits and Finland has a comprehensive social security system. We would prefer the internship to start in the autumn of 2020.
Ready to apply?
Please submit your application through our recruiting system by using "Apply now!" link below. include the following documents in English
• Course transcripts of master’s study
• Curriculum Vitae
• Motivation letter (required for those who study outside Aalto, optional for those who study in Aalto)
• References (optional)
Please send your application in as soon as possible. There is no strict deadline for the application, we´ll fill this position as soon as a suitable candidate is found.
For additional information, please contact Associate Professor Katsuyuki Haneda, firstname.lastname@example.org.
Aalto University is an international community, 40% of our academic staff is international. Finland is a great place for living with or without family – it is a safe, politically stable and well organized Nordic society. Finland is consistently ranked high in quality of life and was just listed as the happiest country in the world: https://worldhappiness.report/ed/2020/social-environments-for-world-happiness/. For more information about living in Finland: https://www.aalto.fi/services/about-finland
|Title||6 months internship, Antenna Design for 5G Infrastructure|
|Job location||Lämpömiehenkuja 2, 02150 Espoo|
|Published||March 30, 2020|
|Job types||Research assistant  |
|Fields||Electromagnetism,   Communication Engineering,   Computer Communications (Networks),   Telecommunications Engineering,   Electrical Engineering,   Mechanical Engineering  |