Deadline: July 15 th, 2020
The University of Applied Sciences and Arts of Southern Switzerland (SUPSI), active in the fields of natural and built environment, economics, technological innovation, applied art, social work and healthcare, learning and education at the Department of Innovative Technologies (DTI) in Manno, in particular the Dalle Molle Institute for Artificial Intelligence (IDSIA), has opened one position for a Professor in AI for Autonomous Robotics. The position is offered with a permanent employment contract at a level of employment ranging between 80%-100%. Employment start date on 01.01.2021 or on a date to be agreed.
IDSIA is involved in developing novel algorithms for autonomous mobile robots to solve perception and control problems, as well as machine vision techniques for challenging industrial or biomedical applications. In these fields, IDSIA relies on data-driven methods, including deep learning, to extract relevant high-level information from sensing data, which is often high-dimensional (images, videos) and frequently requires sophisticated pattern-recognition capabilities. The mentioned position supports the scientific development priority by creating innovative solutions and algorithms for new categories of problems in the fields of autonomous robotics and machine vision, as well as synergistic development of research and training activities of growing relevance.
- She/he is active in teaching, where she/he provides a significant contribution in basic training (also at Master level) with a strong role in monitoring the process that regulates the training offer.
- She/he is active in the national and international scientific and academic community.
- She/he is active in the management of teaching activities.
- She/he contributes to the scientific and didactic training of her/his research group in her/his area of expertise.
- She/he is a leading a of autonomous robotics, in particular on application of data driven methods to robot navigation, swarm robotics, machine vision and biomedicine. In this context, she/he is manager and/or coordinator of projects, taking care of their funding, their financial/bureaucratic management, and their coordination at departmental and interdepartmental scale.
- The successful applicant is able to foster the scientific growth of her/his research team, taking care of the development of their skills and the quality of their work, both in research and in teaching activities.
- S/he promotes the collaboration among lecturers and researchers in her/his area of competence.
- S/he manages and co-ordinates the financial and administrative management of her/his research projects.
- In the research area of the call, she/he takes care of and promotes collaborations at national and international level.
- In the research area of the call, her/his activity is acknowledged through prizes and participation in international conference program committees.
- Qualification required: Ph.D. in Computer Science or related quantitative areas.
- 10 years of experience as a researcher and lecturer in the technical-scientific area.
- As a lecturer, she/he is required to have held university courses, with positive evaluation, with direct responsibility of the program, teaching material, and evaluation of the students.
- As a researcher in the area of the call, she/he should have been responsible of scientific projects and have relevant scientific results in terms of publications in peer-reviewed scientific journals and international conferences, international patents, prototypes and/or innovative artefacts including innovative solutions subject to evaluation by a third party - to be attached to the application.
- Proven ability to be leader in the scientific area of the call both in terms of research, through the responsibility of a research team also from a management point of view, and in terms of training as a distinguished professor in her/his area.
- Proven ability to create bridges and synergies between her/his research and teaching activities.
- Proven recognition at national and international level as a reference person for her/his scientific area.
- Linguistic portfolio: excellent knowledge of Italian (or willingness to learn it) and English.
- Experience as thesis supervisor (Bachelor, Master, Doctorate) or university student tutor.
- Production of teaching material such as lecture notes (in various forms), books, publications.
- Responsibility roles in teaching as responsible of degrees, modules, training courses, etc.
- Responsibility roles in research such as head of institution, center of expertise, laboratory, area, service, etc.
- Teaching qualification, already obtained or in progress (qualification in the year following the appointment).
- A prestigious position in an internationally recognized University of Applied Sciences.
- Stimulating teaching and applied research activities, with a high degree of autonomy and responsibility, in a highly innovative and dynamic university environment.
- A team of motivated colleagues with a great deal of experience and competence.
- Possibility to grow within the institution by covering roles of increasing responsibility.
The requirements for this position are published within the "Direttive interne SUPSI" and within "Regolamento del personale SUPSI" on this website: https://www.supsi.ch/home/supsi/documenti-ufficiali.html
For further information, please contact:
Prof. Dr. Emanuele Carpanzano
Applicants should submit the following documents:
- Motivation letter in Italian or English.
- Curriculum vitae with publications list in Italian or English.
- List of scientific publications and exemplary works and links or copies of the aforementioned works.
- Educational diplomas and work certificates.
- Awards and mentions.
- Two reference letters that prove the professional, scientific and teaching quality.
- Presentation of the didactic activities carried out at university level with relative evaluations.
- A criminal record with a 6-month validity must be provided. Taking into account the time necessary for the issuing of this document by the competent office, it will be sufficient to enclose with the application a copy of the request accompanied by a self-declaration and send the original document (to firstname.lastname@example.org) as soon as possible, or, at the latest, during the first selection interview. For Swiss citizens and Swiss residents, the court records can be requested at the Federal Office of Justice in Bern, www.casellario.admin.ch.
Applications will be considered only if submitted electronically by July 15 th, 2020 using the appropriate form: http://www.form-ru.app.supsi.ch/view.php?id=461370
Incomplete or late applications will not be considered.