Our naturally beautiful campus in the Jyväskylä city centre is home to a dynamic multidisciplinary research university – a modern, open and collaborative community of 2,500 experts and 15,000 students seeking answers to the pivotal questions of today and tomorrow.It was here, in 1863, that Finnish-language teacher education began. Since then, the University of Jyväskylä has been serving the future.The dialogue between research, education and society is our driving force.We cherish this balance of research and education, and work to promote open thinking. We kindle the skills, knowledge and passion to live wisely for the best of humanity.
The Department of Education is currently seeking to recruit staff to the position of
an Associate Professor in Adult learning at work (tenure track), from 1 November 2019 or as soon as possible thereafter, for a fixed period of five years.
A particularly distinguished and unquestionably qualified person may exceptionally be appointed directly to a professorship based on a contract of employment in effect until further notice, presuming there is no candidate available who is more competent and suitable for the position. The qualification requirements for the position of professor are a doctoral degree, high-level scientific competence and, when important for the tasks included in the professorship, practical familiarity with the field.
The Faculty of Education and Psychology comprises three departments – Education, Teacher Education and Psychology – and the Teacher Training School, which provides basic education and general upper secondary education. The faculty has 30 professorships. The number of staff is about 350, a hundred of whom work at the Teacher Training School. The faculty provides high-quality education in its various disciplines (adult education, classroom and subject teacher education, early childhood education, education, guidance and career education, leadership, psychology, and special education).
The associate professor is expected to strengthen the research profile of Department of Education in the field of adult learning at work. The teaching assignments include lectures and other courses in the basic, intermediate and advanced level widely related to the field, with an emphasis on advanced and doctoral studies, in particular in contents linked with adult education, work life research, and methods and interventions of work life development. In addition, the applicant is expected to actively engage in furthering the societal impact of research findings, e.g., in development of adult education and working life. In addition to high-level international publishing activity, the applicant is expected to contribute to the development of strategic networks and in collaboration producing synergy in national networks and international strategically selected networks. Continuous development of teaching and management duties related to teaching and other academic obligations are part of the duties of associate professor. Associate professor supervises Bachelor's and Master's Theses and is expected to acquire supplementary funding for doctoral and post-doc researchers.
The position is filled as a fixed-term associate professorship of five years (tenure track), (see the tenure track model for professorship). When an employee has been selected for a fixed-term associate professorship, an evaluation procedure is used regarding the employee’s merits for a professorship filled through an invitation procedure. The evaluation procedure shall begin before the end of the fixed-term contract. The evaluation procedure follows the same practices used in the expert evaluation procedure for filling a professorship.
The job-specific salary component of an associate professor is based on the job demand level 7 (EUR 3946,50/month) according to the salary system concerning teaching and research staff at universities. In addition, a personal performance-based salary component amounting to 6-50 % of the job-specific salary component is also paid.
A trial period of six months will be used when the position is first filled.
For further information, please contact: Head of the department, Dr. Leena Halttunen, firstname.lastname@example.org, tel. +358 50 4413677
To find useful information about the University of Jyväskylä, the City of Jyväskylä and living in Finland, see the University's International Staff Guide.
The application should include in pdf-format and in English:
1) Letter of application/motivation letter
2) CV of the applicant, composed according to good scientific practice and considering, when possible, the template for researcher’s curriculum vitae by the Finnish Advisory Board on Research Integrity. See http://www.tenk.fi/en;
3) Numbered list of all scientific and other publications – drawn up according to the categorisation of the Academy of Finland – with which the candidate wishes to demonstrate his/her eligibility and merits for the post: (A) Peer-reviewed scientific articles; (B) Non-refereed scientific articles; (C) Scientific books (monographs); (D) Publications intended for professional communities; (E) Publications intended for the general public, linked to the applicant’s research; (F) Public artistic and design activities; (G) Theses; (H) Patents and invention disclosures; (I) Audiovisual material, ICT software;
4) Brief (2–3 pages) written account of the applicant’s scientific research, merits in scientific activities and in supervision of research work, including an account of acquired complementary research funding and the responsibilities related to the research conducted through such funding;
5) Brief (2–3 pages) written account of pedagogical training and teaching merits (teaching portfolio);
6) Brief (2–3 pages) written account of the applicant’s societal interaction and international cooperation;
7) Maximum of 10 main publications, numbered in accordance with the list of publications;
8) Brief (2–3 pages) account of how the applicant plans to develop the research, teaching and societal interaction related to the domain of the post in the Faculty of Education and Psychology.
Please submit your application at the latest on 31 May 2019 using the online application form.
|Title||Associate Professor (tenure track) in Adult learning at work|
|Employer||University of Jyväskylä|
|Job location||Seminaarinkatu 15, Jyväskylä|
|Published||April 11, 2019|
|Application deadline||May 31, 2019|
|Job types||Professor,   Assistant / Associate Professor,   Tenure Track  |
|Fields||Adult Education,   Higher Education,   Pedagogic Theory,   Behavioural Science,   Developmental Psychology,   Educational Psychology  |