Lebanese American University
More than 90 years of service
LAU was founded as a college for women in 1924, tracing its origins back to the first school for girls in the Ottoman empire started by Presbyterian missionaries in the 1830s. The institution has grown and changed tremendously through the decades, but the enterprising and progressive spirit of those who started it endures.
American higher education standards
LAU is incorporated in the United States as a non-profit higher education institution through the New York State Education Department. All of LAU’s academic programs are reviewed and approved by this body. In addition, LAU is accredited by the Commission on Institutions of Higher Education of the New England Association of Schools and Colleges (CIHE-NEASC). Several programs are also accredited by authoritative agencies in the United States, Canada, and Europe.
Lebanese American University is committed to academic excellence, student centeredness, civic engagement, the advancement of scholarship, the education of the whole person, and the formation of leaders in a diverse world.
In both planning for its future as well as conducting its ongoing daily activities, LAUseeks to act in a manner that is guided by a deep-rooted sense of shared ethical values and aspirations. Built upon this foundation, Lebanese American University:
- Draws its fundamental inspiration from the devotion of its Presbyterian Founders to always seek the Truth, respect human dignity, promote gender equality, and be inclusive;
- Provides educational opportunities as one university with multiple campuses, each with distinctive gifts and attributes;
- Commits to academic and service excellence throughout the institution;
- Demonstrates dignity and respect for and from the Board, faculty, staff and students in word and in deed;
- Celebrates the accomplishments and contributions of all members of the LAUcommunity;
- Succeeds because its people take pride of ownership and are held accountable for their actions;
- Works together as an extended family community that reflects the highest ethical and moral standards;
- Enables individuals to find their own spiritual and personal fulfillment while ever sensitive to the changing global village in which they live;
- Promotes social connectedness of the students to the country of Lebanon; and encourages their commitment to social justice and democracy.
The Vision of Lebanese American University is driven by its mission and values. The Vision for LAU will be carried out through:
- Providing access to a superior education for diverse undergraduate and graduate students and lifelong learners;
- Attracting and retaining distinguished faculty who excel in teaching, research and community service;
- Enrolling and retaining academically qualified and diverse students;
- Embracing liberal arts in all curricula;
- Creating opportunities for rigorous research and the dissemination of knowledge;
- Developing a close-knit community that excels academically, is intellectually stimulating, and is religiously, ethnically and socio-economically diverse;
- Attracting and retaining a highly qualified staff committed to excellence in service;